Getting your A/C ready for Late Spring and Summer 2019
Warmer weather is on the way to the Delaware area – time to get your central A/C in shape for the hot months to come!
Here are five things you can do in the coming weeks to prepare your central air conditioning system for the its annual home cooling workout.
- Replace the air filter – A clogged air filter blocks airflow, which causes your A/C to waste energy as it goes about its cooling duties. Replace your air filter early in the season and check it every 30 days when your air conditioner is in regular, daily use.
- Clear your outdoor condenser – Birds, insects and other creatures can make a home inside of the condensing unit; remove their nests before you power up your A/C. It’s also important to keep condenser coils clean and clear so they can dissipate heat: use a garden hose to push out yard and other debris, taking care not to bend over the delicate aluminum fins.
- Clean vents and check ductwork – Clean vent registers with soapy water to remove dust, then clear away vent obstructions such as rugs, curtains, furniture, and other items. If you detect a lingering, stale smell coming from your vents, consider having the ductwork professionally cleaned and sealed.
- Run your cooling system – Start up the air conditioner to make sure it powers on and off properly. If it doesn’t,
- Make sure your thermostat is set for the “air conditioner” or “cool” setting
- Make sure that your thermostat is set to at least 5 degrees below the current room temperature
- Check circuit breakers to make sure they have not been tripped
- Make sure all power switches affecting the unit are in the on position
- If you’ve tried all of these measures and the A/C still doesn’t work, contact us for air conditioning service if you’re located within our Delaware HVAC service area*.
- Schedule annual A/C maintenance – A professional air conditioning tune-up keeps your equipment running better for longer and helps spot small issues before they become expensive repairs.
Hotter days and nights are coming – make sure your air conditioner is ready for the challenge this summer season by scheduling your A/C maintenance, today*!
*HVAC services are available to Delaware customers only.