Efficiency Ratings Of Furnaces and Boilers

furnace efficiency rating pennsylvania

The ins and outs of AFUE

When you’re looking for a new furnace or boiler for your Delmarva home, you understandably want to get the most efficient one you can afford. Because the higher the efficiency, the less energy you’ll need to keep your home warm. And less energy also means lower heating costs.

That’s where AFUE comes in. AFUE is Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. It’s a way to compare the performance of one heating system to another. AFUE works like the MPG rating for cars. A higher AFUE rating means the furnace or boiler is more efficient.

The AFUE number represents an average of propane, heating oil or other fuel that is used by your heating system compared with the amount of heat it produces over a heating season.

Here’s an example: If your furnace or boiler has an AFUE rating of 80 that means an average of 80 percent of the fuel it uses is converted to heat. The other 20 percent is lost in the conversion process.

In dollars and cents, the AFUE rating of 80 means that for every dollar you spend on heating oil or propane, 80 cents goes towards heating your home. But if you choose a high-efficiency heating system, that AFUE rating can soar to 95 percent (or higher!). That can make a huge difference in your monthly heating costs!

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, these are the common AFUE ratings for heating systems. Keep in mind, the minimum AFUE standard for new heating systems is 80.

Low-efficiency: 56% – 70%. These are common in older, outdated heating systems.
Mid-efficiency: 80% – 85%. These can be both new and older heating systems, including many from the early to mid-2000’s.
High-efficiency: 90% – 98.5%. These ratings are mostly found in newer heating systems on the present-day market.

By the way, if you’re curious about your current heating system’s AFUE rating, it is usually found on its faceplate.

There’s more than AFUE when it comes to efficiency

Your AFUE rating can very a great deal, depending not only on the age and model of your heating system, but how well it’s been maintained.

Besides maintenance, your furnace or boiler’s efficiency can be influenced by other factors, such as:

  • The quality of installation
  • How well your home is insulated and sealed against drafts
  • The condition of your ductwork

These reasons, and the investment you make in a new heating system, are why you should use the professionals at Poore’s Propane for installation, maintenance and repairs. And we offer service plans to make maintenance easier and more affordable!

If you’re looking for a new energy-efficient furnace or boiler for your home, the professionals at Poore’s Propane are ready to help. Get in touch with to discuss options for your residence, today!